The following guidelines for the enrollment of students are based upon criteria established by the school district administration in conjunction with recommendations of the Ohio department of Education. These guidelines are consistent with applicable sections of the Ohio Revised Code.
1. Beginning in March, information will be provided upon request to parents in other districts about the open enrollment program.
2.The Chardon Local Schools will begin accepting applications for open enrollment MARCH 1, 2019.
3. Requests will be acted upon (approved or denied) during April with parental acceptance of transfer on or before MAY 3, 2019. By MAY 23, 2019, any applicant that has been notified of acceptance must have completed the registration process or attendance will be denied. If grade, building, and program capacities have not been exceeded, enrollment privileges may be extended by the superintendent until capacity has been met.
4. No student, once accepted by the Chardon Local Schools, will be displaced during that year should enrollment exceed program limits. All approved enrollments are in effect for the current school year only and may be discontinued at the discretion of the Chardon Local Schools Board of Education in subsequent years.
5. Applications will be considered based on the time and date stamp of receipt with an assurance that the following acceptance criteria will be used in making these decisions:
A. Chardon Local Schools residence will not be displaced
B. Students of Teachers employed with the Chardon Local Schools
C. Students currently attending the Chardon Local School pursuant to the District open enrollment policy
D. First time open enrollment students
6. Enrollment will be denied to students who have been suspended or expelled for 10 consecutive days in the current term or the immediately preceding term
7. Interdistrict Open Enrollment may be discontinued by the Chardon Local Schools Board of Education
ADDITIONAL REGULATIONS INCLUDE:
1. Athletics. It is the responsibility of each student who is accepted in the open enrollment program and who desires to participate in interscholastic athletic competition to take all necessary steps and present evidence of such to the superintendent that he/she has met all standards of the Ohio High School Athletic Association. Students will not be permitted to take part in practices or contests until proper eligibility is determined.
2. Bus Transportation. The Chardon Local Schools will provide transportation to open enrolled students provided pick up or drop off occur at established bus stops within the boundaries of the district, and further provided that space is available on the requested bus route.
3. Graduation Credits. The District will accept all credits toward graduation for enrolled students who are residents of the State of Ohio. Any student who expects to graduate from the Chardon Local Schools must meet all graduation requirements established in the policy approved by the Chardon Board of Education.
4. Provision of Information. In compliance with O.R.C. 3313.98, the Chardon Local Schools Board of Education will provide information regarding open enrollment policies and guidelines upon request, to Boards of Education of any other school district or to the parent of any student in the State of Ohio.
5. Special Education Services. Pursuant to O.R.C. 3313.98, the District may deny enrollment of a special education student who is a resident of another school district in Ohio and who requires special education services that are not available in the school district. Including programs where capacity limits would be exceeded by the open enrollment.
6. Title 1 Services. Students living in the District and receiving Title 1 services may not be excluded from service by an applicant from another school distinct.
7. Non-Discrimination. In compliance with O.R.C. 3313.98, the Board will enroll students without differentiation on the bases of academic, athletic, artistic, extra-curricular activity, or proficiency in English Language. No person on the bases of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, or disability will be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program.
Begin by completing the Online Registration Application. This process will take approximately 15 minutes and you will need your student's birth certificate when completing these forms. Your application will be reviewed and you be contacted at the end of March.
LINK TO ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR PROSPECTIVE FAMILIES
Use this link if you have an email address REGISTRATION LINK 1
Use this link if you do NOT have email REGISTRATION LINK 2
Thank you for your interest in the Chardon Local Schools and we look forward to working with you to educate your student.